What An Adventure!

Following was our little journey to potty training which was filled with twists and turns, tears and laughter, rewards and toilet paper.


Monday, November 10, 2008

How's it going - November Week 1


We are doing great!!!!

NO accidents in the house. We went out for several hours yesterday, and she was dry!!! Mini Me was in a pull-up at church and did not have an accident. Later, we went to a friend's house and shopping. Dry. Dry. Dry. When she needed to go, she asked to go. On the way home, she said she needed to pee. I told her to hold it. She did!!!

I have to find those potty seat covers for when we are in public. Haven't managed to find any in stock!! This will make me feel MUCH more comfortable when in public situations.

Mini Me has gotten into trouble for playing with the water instead of washing her hands. She showed back up in the living room with soaking wet hair!! She knows the drill, so she goes and does what she has to do, flushes, washes her hands, dries 'em and comes back out.

I transitioned her to just using the big people toilet. She uses the potty as a step to get up to the toilet (it was designed that way). I like this better, because there is less cleaning for me, and makes it easier for her when in public or at other's homes.

Did I read the books? Not really. I thumbed through them. I didn't use charts or candy bribes. I tried the nakedness a couple times but she just peed all over the floor in her brother's room (where they play). What worked from the books was the positive reinforcement and not getting mad when she messed up. 

I did get mad the 3rd or 4th time she peed in Motor Mouth's room. I did spank her for playing in the water the 3rd time in a row instead of washing her hands. In each case, I modified my subsequent expectations and she stopped doing what she shouldn't.

Waiting until Mini Me was ready - had the vocabulary, showed an interest, maintained an interest - is what really worked for us.  At first, she didn't really 'get' that she had to tell me BEFORE she peed herself was the final developmental milestone.

I also only trained her when she was alert and in the best mood and at home. That meant mornings only. I used the language too - "Are you a 'baby' or a 'big girl'?" She wants to be a 'big girl'. 

Okay. I've said all of this. Let's hope she doesn't have a major setback this week!!!

No comments: